The Biggest Mistake People Make ...When Trying To Make A Good First Impression
Want to make a good first impression?
Everyone wants to put their best foot forward when meeting someone new. Unfortunately, without understanding first impression psychology ...they might not always be successful at doing this.
And one of the BIGGEST mistakes people make is this...
Believing that there is one ‘best’ way to act when trying to make a good first impression.
The reality is that different people will respond in different ways to the same behavior. You may come across as friendly and personable to one person ...while the same behavior makes you appear needy to another.
Tell me more...
In my book "" ...I show how the same principle works for when trying to make someone fall in love with you.
What makes one person fall in love with you will not necessarily work on another person. In my book, I show how to analyse a persons behaviour and psychology in order to find the best way to make that specifc person like you ...and then fall in love with you.
The same goes for making a good first impression on anyone. You need to adapt your approach to cater to peoples differences.
How do I do this?
To adapt to people’s differences and make a good impression, consider the following points:
- Do you make people feel better about themselves? Almost each and every action people take in life ...is to reach some personal or emotional goals. Some people are seeking approval, others a sense of superiority, and still others a feeling of importance. It has been found that people subconsciously rate you according to how you made them feel about themselves. Knowing what feelings people are trying to achieve in a social situation can help you to make a good positive impression.
- Other people’s perceptions color their impressions: People’s own inner problems can affect their impressions of you. For example, when you act confident and competent people will typically admire you. However, for someone who is hiding insecurities your confidence may be intimidating or even threatening and cause them to form a negative impression of you. For some people who themselves are arrogant because of their own insecurities they may respond negatively to your outgoing attitude. In these examples people will form negative impressions of you without realizing that the problems they have stem from inside themselves and not from you.
- Mis-reading a persons true character: A shy person who simply lacks the confidence to engage with you may accidentally come across to you as an arrogant person who is "too good to talk with you". The result is that your response to this type of person could accidentally result in you making a bad first impression on them. To make a positive first impression on someone it is critical that you take care to understand their true character.
Key First Impression Mistakes To Avoid
The way you present yourself to others is often a reflection of the way you see yourself. If you lack self esteem you will act as though others dislike you ...and you are not worth their respect.
By acting this way you will send them that exact message and in the end you will create a self-fulfilling prophecy! Watch the following two points:
- Are your insecurities distorting your perspective? Many people see their fears reflected in the world rather than seeing reality for what it is. If you walk around feeling that people inherently dislike you ...then when you meet someone who is friendly and outgoing you may mistake it for arrogance. The end result then is that you respond to this person by being distant and in turn make this person uncomfortable. By misreading their intentions and misperceiving their actions you can unintentionally make a bad impression.
- Don’t get hung up on looks: Though it is true that looks do matter to a certain extent many studies show that equally important are things we CAN control ...such as body language, clothing style, and the way we speak. In addition there are countless other factors that are out of our control such as the mood of those we are meeting, the context of the meeting, and even the temperature that affect people’s perceptions. With this in mind it is important not to get too worked up over the shape of our nose or a crooked tooth when meeting someone for the first time.
As I said at the start of this article: "Believing that there is one ‘best’ way to act when trying to make a good first impression." ...is one of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to make a good first impression. The reality is that you need to examine both yours and your target persons psychological makeup and behaviour. With practice, this is something which can become second nature in the future whenever you meet someone new.